Friday, August 27, 2010

Fido

It must be a couple of years now but I can recall when there seemed to be a lot of anticipation for Black Sheep and Fido, two horror comedies that were going to be released around the same time, both movies had trailers that looked like fun and I was looking forward to seeing both of them.

I saw Black Sheep on DVD around a year ago and to be honest I was pretty disappointed, it had a couple of funny moments but overall the movie just wasn't very good.

Today I was sorting through some DVDs only to discover I must have bought Fido at some point, I don't remember buying it but sure enough there was the region 2 DVD with Billy Connolly's decaying face on the cover and since I was looking for something to watch this afternoon I though that should do the trick nicely.

It was an interesting movie and I did enjoy it, Fido wasn't as funny as I'd hoped but it was a quirky little film and I liked the whole 50's vibe it had going on, I think I was expecting things to go wrong ( and they did ) and then you'd have a comedy more in line with Shaun of the Dead with moments of horrific gore along with laugh out loud moments and that didn't really happen, this was more like Stand By Me with zombies, I did expect that the Billy Connolly zombie would be revealed as the boy's dead Grandfather and that was why he / it was looking out for him but they didn't do that and upon reflection I guess that would've been a little obvious.

I enjoyed Fido and it's certainly worth a look if you haven't seen it and get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment