Monday, August 23, 2010

Colour Me Kubrick

This movie was ( loosely ) based on real life events where a con man was impersonating Stanley Kubrick, it must be said I'm a bit of a fan of Kubrick's films so I had fun spotting various references and music cues used in Colour Me Kubrick and I was aware of the man who impersonated Kubrick and some of the events around him being discovered.

A couple of years ago I saw a trailer for the film that made it look like a comedy which I thought was odd at the time but I'd eventually check out the film, Colour Me Kubrick is no comedy, it has a couple of  funny moments but it's certainly no comedy, this is a movie about celebrity ( something Stanley Kubrick never wanted ) and someone who was unhappy with his life so he tried to become someone else

John Malkovich gives an outstanding performance as Alan Conway, the openly gay Stanley Kubrick impersonator who looked nothing like Kubrick and it seemed knew only the basic facts about his work but somehow still managed to convince people he was a talented movie director.

This was a bit different to the things I've been watching lately and I really enjoyed it, it's not a movie I'd buy ( well recommend buying since I did in fact buy it ) but if you can catch it on TV it's certainly worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment