Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Product Placement from Hell

I spent the afternoon watching some of the shows that have been gathering ( virtual ) dust on my DVR, included among those was an episode of Bones, now I like Bones it's not must see viewing but it's a fun little show.

What I'm not a fan of is product placement, I know why it happens and I can usually live with it but this episode served no purpose other than to advertise Avatar for the entire length of the episode and in the process the quality level of the storytelling fell way below the show's usual standard.

I was pretty disgusted by this episode, it's the sort of thing that turns me off a show so I hope this level of product placement never rears it's ugly head in Bones again ( or any other show for that matter ).

2 comments:

  1. The car adverts are beyond a joke as seen in 24 and White Collar, whole scenes even dialogue designed purely to push an aspect of a motor vehicle and blatant about it.

    Alas the UK has now green light that level of product placement on our screens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that sore of thing really annoying but an episode long plotline about how some of the guys wanted to see Avatar and they managed to sneak in plenty of banners with the movie logo and trailer footage - that was a new low in product placement for me.

    ReplyDelete