Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug (Extended Edition)


Before I go to see the final film in Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy I thought I should finally get around to watching the extended version of The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug and I can confirm that the running time is longer, in fact at some points it seemed as though the movie would never end.

I'm not sure I would describe my self as a huge fan of Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy but I do enjoy the movies and having seen them a few times each I still enjoy them when I see them.

I've been entertained by the first two Hobbit films when I saw them in the cinema but when it comes to seeing the movies again on Blu-ray they just haven't been anywhere near as enjoyable for me, I guess I just haven't found the first two Hobbit films to be very rewatchable, they are certainly well crafted  and filled with stunning imagery but I find them to be a little lacking when it comes to a second viewing.

The extended version of The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug contained a couple of interesting additions and I won't spoil those here for anyone who hasn't yet seen it but thank goodness for DVD and Blu-ray pause buttons because the movie is getting close to reaching a bladder bursting running time.

I suppose like the Star Wars prequels The Hobbit trilogy was going to have a hard time meeting audience expectations, I am looking forward to seeing the final film in the trilogy this week but I'm not sure I'm  looking forward to seeing it again when the it's extended edition is released at the end of the year.

For those who may be shocked that I have little positive to say about rewatching the movie please enjoy the picture of Bilbo and some butterflies.

2 comments:

  1. I've never had an interest in watching the extended LOTR trilogy despite positive comments and alas I doubt I'll even bother owning the Hobbit trilogy, maybe a fanedit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the extended version of the Lord of the Rings movies make worthwhile additions to the movies, the extended versions of the Hobbit films are just longer, so much longer.

    ReplyDelete