Thursday, May 5, 2011

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles



Over the last few days I've found myself in the mood to watch some anime so I jumped onto eBay and bought a few things and much to my shock Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles arrived the very next day so I sat myself down and watched the movie.

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles is an animated movie that serves as a sequel to the TV series from the 80s and was also supposed to relaunch the franchise, I remember watching and enjoying the series but I wasn't a hardcore fan so I found the first act of the movie a little confusing at times as various characters were reintroduced, perhaps it may have been a better idea to bring back fewer of the characters from the series and then reintroduce more of them in following sequel projects but I guess that's a minor quibble.

The movie itself was OK but I think it was saddled with too much for it's running time, firstly it had to tie up story lines left hanging when the original series ended and then it had to ( hopefully ) relaunch the franchise in a new direction, I think ending the original Robotech series was worthy of it's own movie rather than trying to wrap it up in around 40 minutes, so that the writers could introduce new villains in the second half of the movie especially since the proposed sequel film is now indefinitely postponed leaving the fans hanging once again.

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles is an OK movie but it doesn't live up to the legacy of the Robotech TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment