Tuesday, January 11, 2011

To 3D or Not 3D

I have a 3D Plasma TV, I bought it because it was a nice TV not because it was 3D, I have one 3D title on Blu-ray Coraline which they apparently screwed up when it come to encoding the 3D content ( well that's what the reviews say ) so I've only ever watched the 2D version as a result I haven't had the opportunity to properly try out a movie in 3D although Panasonic are supposed to be sending me Avatar in 3D on Blu-ray which should be interesting viewing.

I also own a PS3 and I've now picked up a copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops which has support for 3D so I thought I'd give it a try and it works well enough but really it adds nothing to the game play, yes there is a marginally greater sense of depth to the picture but that was about it, it certainly wasn't worth putting up with the stupid 3D glasses to play the game so by the time I'd gotten to the end of the first section of the game I'd turned off 3D and continued playing as normal.

Apparently this year there is going to be a big push into 3D gaming but it seems that just like 3D in movies it's set to become an annoying gimmick, personally I'd prefer to see software developers make good games instead of 3D games or at least come up with a way to make 3D an innovative part of the game play.

For what it's worth even without the 3D Call of Duty: Black Ops seems like it is going to be a fun game.

No comments:

Post a Comment