Monday, January 17, 2011

Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda



Over the last couple of days I've watched the first eight episodes of the first season of Andromeda, it was a show I was interested in seeing but other than the first two episodes which were released on VHS to rent I'd never seen any of the show, like many TV series over the years those opening episodes were nothing special but I assumed it must get better as the series went on.

The only things I'd really heard about Andromeda was how bad it was and honestly I think that is undeserved, this so far at least has been a fun show, true it doesn't look like it will become a classic science fiction series like Star Trek, Babylon 5 or Farscape ( although it has often reminded me of the first season of Farscape ) but I have been enjoying watching a space opera that is fun for a change rather than grim and depressing.

I think Paramount really dropped the ball by not purchasing this idea and developing it as a Star Trek series instead of Voyager, that could have done a lot to relieve the franchise fatigue that Star Trek suffered in it's last few years on television and lets be honest change a few names and you have a series set in the Star Trek universe, I don't know if that was Gene Roddenberry's intention but the idea of the crew of the last Federation starship trying to restore the Federation would've worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment