Thursday, April 30, 2015

Death Race Trilogy ( Blu-ray )


There are few things that annoy me more than poor quality remakes or sequels to movies but I have to admit I have a fondness for Paul W.S. Anderson's remake of Death Race 2000.

Like the original movie Death Race isn't by any means a great movie but it is fun in a B-Grade kind of way.

A couple of years ago I saw the direct to video production Death Race 2 and as you'd expect at the time I thought it wasn't great but I thought it was interesting that the second film was actually a prequel that only featured a couple of supporting actors from the original film, more recently I became aware that there was a third film which was also a direct to video production called Death Race 3:  Inferno or some times just Death Race: Inferno which was a sequel to Death Race 2 but a prequel to the original Death Race.

Sometimes I think I must be a glutton for punishment because I like to see every movie in a series eve if I expect them to be terrible especially given that the second and third Death Race movies were directed by Roel Reiné  who also directed the awful The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption.

Rewatching the first two films and seeing the third film for the first time I found I enjoyed them, there is a definite drop in quality between the first movie and it's sequels but they all work as big dumb fun and while I do enjoy a well written and thoughtfully made movie sometimes fast cars, pretty girls and lots of explosions can be fun as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment