Monday, June 29, 2015

Porco Rosso ( Blu-ray )



I know most fans of Hayao Miyazaki's movies will probably disagree with me but I think Porco Rosso is probably my favourite Miyazaki film.

I find that while most of Miyazaki's films are based on enchanting ideas they tend to be a little too long and things seem to drag a little in the middle of some of his films, Porco Rosso doesn't seem to do that, it's 94 minute running time seems to be perfect, it introduces the characters and story and then things move on at a decent pace until the end, things don't seem to be rushed at all and there is no checking to see what the time is or how long them movie has left because the viewer finds themselves wading through a slow bit.

As for the story itself, a cursed World War 1 fighter pilot who fights sky pirates and hides out in Milan while his plane is being repaired and then hate to fight a duel over the fate of a girl, there is of course more to it than that but you get the idea, this is pure light hearted adventure.

On Blu-ray the animation looks truly stunning and the sound is at least to my somewhat deaf ears crystal clear, Porco Rosso looked nice on DVD but it is stunning on Blu-ray.

Most of Miyazaki's movies are clever and engaging but I don't know that I would consider them all to be essential parts of any movie collector's library however Porco Rosso is definitely worth purchasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment