Sunday, July 7, 2013

Man of Steel




Last night I finally found the time to see Man of Steel, I had been really looking forward to seeing this movie but for one reason or another I just wasn't able to see it as quickly as I would have liked.

I should probably say upfront up until last night I though Superman: The Movie was the best superhero movie ever made and any actor who is stepping into the role played by Christopher Reeve is a brave man indeed, well my opinion hasn't change and I still feel that Superman: The Movie is the best superhero movie ever made.

That being said I did enjoy Man of Steel but I also feel it has some real issues, I really liked the new take on Krypton in this movie and I liked the new take on the character of Superman himself but frankly I think they should have left a showdown with General Zod and the renegade Kryptionians until a sequel, in this film they pretty much trashed a large part of Metropolis, how do you top that ?

Added to that they kill off General Zod at the end of the film, why do so many superhero movies kill off their villains ?, I'm perfectly ok with the way they killed off Zod and the reasoning behind it I guess but I really do think it should have happened in a later film, all I can say is that Luthor, Brainiac or whoever the big bad in the next film is had better be impressive.

Another thing that did slightly annoy me was the powers thing, according to the movie the renegade Kryptonians were wearing environmental suits to protect them from Earth's different environment, as soon as those suits were damaged or compromised in any way the wearer instantly had superpowers to rival Superman's and yet the movie seemed to suggest they slowly built up to that level over time for Superman, unless I missed something that seemed to be a fairly glaring mistake.

I liked Man of Steel, I really did but it felt a little bloated at times and some things seemed to need a better explanation, one of the people I saw it with summed it up best I think when she said she's seen it and enjoyed it for what it was but doesn't need to see it again and that's pretty much how I feel as well, of course me being the type of person I am I'll end up owning it on Blu-ray anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment