Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray



I'm a big Star Trek fan and anyone who knows me knows at least that much about me, I own all the TV series and the movies but it always bothered me that the post 60s TV Star Trek series looked pretty crappy even on DVD, I never knew why but they just didn't look as good as I thought they should compared to other shows that had been released on DVD.

Well thank goodness for high definition I guess because sensing the opportunity to make a buck the powers that be in TV land have located all the individual elements used to make the show, dusted them off and reassembled the episodes again for a Blu-ray release and the result is rather impressive.

This is Star Trek: The Next Generation looking and sounding far better than it has before considering these episodes were made in the 80s, the have their flaws in places to be sure but I suspect this is as good as the show is ever going to or could look.

Is it worth the upgrade if you have he episodes on DVD ?, probably only if you are a big fan of the show, season one was pretty uneven in terms of story quality, the Next Generation team hadn't hit their stride yet in terms of storytelling or in some cases acting, there are some nice extras included with this set such as the feature length making of season 1 documentary but I imagine that will only appeal to hardcore fans of the show.

At the end of the day I'm glad I bought this set but it took me a long time to get through it, this isn't Star Trek at it's finest but this was the beginning of a new era for the franchise.

2 comments:

  1. Rewatching along with a new TNG podcast but not going to buy the Blu-rays, don't enjoy this series as much as the others in the franchise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me the show didn't hit it's stride until about halfway through the third season and by the time it hits the seventh season it seems to be running out of steam again, I find most of the first two seasons of Next Gen to be pretty forgettable which is why it took me so long to get through the first season, I've been lucky enough to get seasons 1-4 on Blu-ray pretty cheap which was nice but being the completist I am I probably would have bought them eventually anyway.

    ReplyDelete