Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Robocop: The Series




I only ever saw a few episodes of Robocop: The Series and if you'd asked me before today I would've told you it was pretty bad.

For a little while now I've wanted to watch the series from beginning to end and it seems the DVDs are pretty cheap these days ( at least they are if you order them from Amazon UK ) so I ordered a set, so far I've only watched the pilot movie and the first regular episode ( which was based on a comic mini-series I also have ) and I thought they were actually pretty decent.

This series was made in the 90's for network television so of course it couldn't be as violent as the movies which I seem to recall was the cause for a lot of complaints and the TV series departs from the continuity established in the movie series.

The pilot movie was written by Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner who wrote the script for the original film and is based on their ideas for Robocop 2 which was abandoned when the studio decided to hire Frank Miller to write the screenplay and I think that's a real shame since with a Hollywood feature budget the pilot would've made a great feature film.

So far I've enjoyed what I've seen but it makes me wonder what one of the cable networks could do with this property if the got the rights to it and the people with the creative vision to do a modern Robocop TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment